Ruislip Residents' Association

Crime Awareness

Ruislip Residents' Assocation has always enjoyed a constructive relationship with the local Police and Safer Neighbourhood Teams, which is of mutual benefit.  Our Executive Committee is updated regularly on local police concerns and our Association is represented on local consultative groups.  We also keep an eye out ourselves for any issues that might affect local residents.  This is an expanded section from our previous Police page because information is now included from sources other than directly from our Police liaison.

For more information on crime prevention locally please visit the Hillingdon Neighbourhood Watch website.

For public newsletters and bulletins issued by the police please visit the Police Updates page.

To contact and find out information on your SNT click on  the following links:-

West Ruislip

Ruislip Manor

Eastcote and East Ruislip

Published on 13 March 2012

101 is the new Non Emergency number for contacting the Met police.

The 101 number was launched on 4th July 2011. Having just two phone numbers: 101 for situations that do not require an immediate police response (18001 101 for people with hearing difficulties) or 999 if it's an emergency, will make it simpler for people to contact the police, it is expected to reduce the number of inappropriate 999 calls the MPS receives, enabling officers to respond to genuine emergencies more effectively.

101 is intended to help communities to keep their neighbourhoods safe by giving them one easy way to contact their local police and to report non-emergency crime and disorder.  It will make the police more accessible to their communities, whilst reducing pressure on the 999 system and helping the police to put their resources where they are needed most.

101 will help police to cut crime by making it easier for the public to pass on information about crimes in their neighbourhoods and allowing the police to take swift action.

The public should continue to call 999 in an emergency, such as when a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened.

Examples of when 101 should be used

if you find your car has been stolen
if your property has been damaged
where you suspect drug use or dealing
if you want to report a minor traffic collision
if you want to give the police information about crime in your area or
simply if you'd like to speak to your local police officer
The public should continue to contact their local Safer Neighbourhood Team Officers through their local contact numbers.
First published on 12 July 2011.  Last updated on 06 June 2014

The Local Government Association issued the following guidelines to avoid being caught out by rogue traders:
  • Challenge anyone looking over your property – did you give them permission?
  • Consider whether you really need the work done.
  • Ask the trader to leave information to study at your leisure.
  • Remember that you should have a seven-day (7) cooling off period if you are “cold called”.
  • Always try to get three (3) quotes from reputable companies and remember that a personal recommendation is probably best.
  • Fix a price and ask for a written quotation that includes the name, address and telephone number of the trader – never rely on just a mobile phone number.
  • Use a builder belonging to a trade association.
  • Never believe all callers are genuine.
  • Don’t believe scare stories.
  • Don’t believe that a cash deal is easier and cheaper.
  • Never sign anything or pay up front until you are sure.
  • Don’t believe a special “today only” deal – it’s high pressure selling.

Please feel free to contact your local Safer Neighbourhood Teams about this or any other issue of concern to you.

Call 999 if you need an immediate response or help in an emergency or call 101 for less urgent police matters.

First published on 21 January 2011.  Last updated on 11 December 2015
Page 2 of 2
Thank you for visiting the RRA website. We welcome feedback. To send us an email, please click the envelope Feedback