Ruislip Residents' Association

Urgent Care Centres

Are you bewildered about where to go when you need advice?  People are often uncertain whether to book an appointment to see a GP, or to 'phone 111, or 'phone 999, or go to a Minor Injuries Unit, or go to the Accident and Emergency Department of their local hospital.  Now Urgent Care Centres are added to the list.

Always dial 999 if you fear a life is at risk -  a potential heart attack, or stroke, major bleeding or serious injury 

Dial 111 if you are uncertain what to do  - you will receive advice and also a priority appointment if you are advised to go to an Urgent Care Centre

In general:
  • Book to see a GP:  For any non-urgent health concerns
  • Minor Injuries Unit, such as Mount Vernon MIU:   For cuts, burns,scalds, mild head and body injuries, removal of foreign bodies from eyes, nose or ears, fractures and sprains, insect or animal bites - but MIUs do not treat children under 4 years old, nor children needing x-rays.
  • Urgent Care Centre, such as the UCC at the entrance to Hillingdon Hospital's Emergency Department:  For minor injuries (as above) and  minor illnesses that need  immediate attention by a GP or senior nurse.
  • Emergency Department of hospital:  Access at Hillingdon Hospital is via UCC or ambulance - this is the right option for children under 4 years, children needing x-rays, and for adults with major illness or injury

Published in Health Services on 04 December 2013.
Thank you for visiting the RRA website. We welcome feedback. To send us an email, please click the envelope Feedback