- A faster and more frequent service (once the signalling system has been modernised…see below)
- Air conditioning
- Walk-through carriages with wheelchair and pushchair spaces
- Able to carry a far greater number of passengers (about 27%)
- Better audio and visual information for passengers
- The new signals will not be working before at least 2018, so service frequency is still the same at present
- Far fewer seats (about 30% less)
- Less comfortable seats – less cushioning and many of them are 'tip-up' style
The contract for a new signalling system, that will enable the times of the next expected trains to be shown on the platform station dot matrix signs north of Harrow on the Hill station, has still not been placed. As this will not now be completed until at least 2018, LU is currently considering a trial of installing monitor screens in station ticket halls to show this information – it is already available on the TFL website for anyone with internet access.
Note: We have noticed that on the Metropolitan Line departure board, when trains are waiting to depart from Uxbridge, they will show a fixed time of 8 minutes to Ruislip and 9 minutes to Ruislip Manor. This is the journey time only and gives no indication of departure time, so the wait time may be longer than indicated.